Administrative groups such as Technology Services, Information Security, Records Management, and Internal Audit require continuous access to files, folders, libraries, etc. If these groups are incorrectly locked out of parts of the file system, then they are unable to fulfill their responsibilities. This exposes the organization to unnecessary risks and costs.
Northern’s software solution (NSS) can be quickly configured to identify folders that administrative groups cannot access, and guide the re-permissioning of these objects. Very large data footprints can be parsed, across geographical regions, and including multiple platforms (traditional on-premise file storage, SharePoint, SharePoint Online, O365, other cloud platforms, etc.).
By identifying and re-permissioning folders where administrative groups do not have the expected level of access, the organization will:
- Enable administrative groups to migrate, manage, protect, audit, etc. all data as expected
- Simplify data migration processes; they will not be suddenly derailed by an inability to move files
- Improve compliance as audit processes are confirmed to encompass all data
- Map sensitive data throughout the organization and protect it accordingly
- Be able to identify users who are changing permissions configurations, and investigate
- Reveal and act on unwanted activities, previously hidden behind permissions configurations
- Be able to plan administrative tasks knowing that permissions issues will not disrupt activities
Northern is currently providing some of the world’s leading organizations with this type of solution, and enabling them to realize these values. Contact your Account Manager or the Professional Services team to schedule configuration in your environment.
The organization can be exposed to unnecessary and unmanaged costs and risks:
- Without access to all data, functional groups are unable to fulfill their responsibilities
- Compliance risk is increased as data is excluded from audit processes
- Records may be overlooked and exposed to illegal handling
- Sensitive data may be put at risk; left outside of secure areas as its sensitivity cannot be established
- Users can carry-out clandestine activities such as staging sensitive data for theft or exposure
- A lack of sufficient privileges can de-rail migration projects through interruptions and failed file operations
- Task time-lines are unpredictable as permissions problems may require additional, unexpected, effort
This situation continues to exist in most organizations due to specific challenges:
- Finding libraries, files, and folders that administrative groups cannot access is time-consuming and complex
- Implementing processes, ensuring periodical review and mitigation, can be resource intensive
Northern offers a way to overcome these challenges.
More of what we deliver
If you wish to start using NSS to identify and re-permission folders where administrative groups have limited access, please contact your Account Manager, or the Professional Services team, to schedule the first action: import configuration settings.