Introduction to Use Cases
Northern is able to deliver on a range of needs, from controlling storage infrastructure use, to improving data governance, compliance, and Records Management.
This section of the Knowledge Base provides examples of how customers are using Northern’s software solution (NSS) to manage their unstructured and semi-structured data – the specific challenges they are overcoming and the value they are realizing.
Each article is a simplified example of how challenges are being overcome. In many cases the solution does not need to be made more complicated, in other cases adaptations are required – NSS, and Northern’s delivery team, are well equipped to adapt and meet more complex needs.
USE CASE EXAMPLES
- Manage Redundant and Unused Files
- Redundant IT-Related Files
- Identify and remove redundant installers, disk images, application logs, data exports, database backups, etc.
- Abandoned File Shares
- Identifiy and remove file shares that have not been used in a long time.
- Manage Special Data Types
- Identify and Remove Email Archives
- Identify and remove all types of Email archives, particularly PST and MSG files.
- Illegally Stored Copyright-Protected Data
- Identify and delete illegally downloaded data, such as music, movies and tv shows etc.
- Files with Login Information and Credentials
- Identify and remove files containing login information, both in content and file name.
- Non Business-Related Data in Personal Drives
- Identify and review all non business related files in the users Personal Drives.
- Interrupt and Track Ransomware Attacks
- Block attempted Ransomware attacks, and alert security team of a possible breach.
- Involve Data Owners
- Engage Users in Active Management
- Give users access to the Console in order to manage their own Personal Drive.
- Give Managers Insight
- Create an overview for managers about how their team is using the file service.
- Identify Unwanted Permissions
- Administrators Have Limited Access
- Identify and review folders where admins do not have full access.
- Inappropropriate Groups Have Elevated Privileges
- Identify and review folders where regular users have too high access.
- Obsolete Accounts Have Access
- Identify and review folders where deleted accounts still have permissions.
If you wish to discuss one of these use cases, or a scenario related to what is being described here, please contact your Account Manager or the Professional Services team.