Northern Software Solution （NSS）は、これらの共有フォルダを特定し、それらを簡単に削除できるようなプロセスを提供できます。 Northernは、地理的に離れた地域全体で、複数のプラットフォーム（従来のオンプレミスファイルストレージ、クラウドやExchange Onlineなど）を含む、非常に大規模なデータフットプリントを解析できます。
Northernは現在、このようなソリューションを、いくつかの世界トップクラスの組織に提供し、これらの価値実現を可能にしています。 お客様の環境で構成をスケジュールするには、アカウントマネージャまたはプロフェッショナルサービス にお問い合わせください。
File shares are created and used for specific purposes. Over time needs change and entire file shares can fall out of use; the data they contain is forgotten and neglected.
The organization can be exposed to unnecessary and unmanaged risks:
- The more data an organization retains, the greater the risk – legal, reputational, operational, etc.
- Access permissions might not be properly maintained – sensitive information may be exposed to improper groups
- Data subject to internal policies or legal retention restrictions may be left unmanaged – creating compliance risk
- Abandoned file shares may contain data that no longer belongs to the organization (as operational divisions are spun-off or sold) – a contractual breach and grounds for damages claims
The cost of handling this data is a waste of IT budgets:
- Primary, secondary, disaster recovery, and backup storage is consumed by files which are never used
- Staff are unknowingly investing time in protecting and maintaining access to these unused files
- Migration and transformation projects are, unnecessarily, made more complex and expensive
This situation continues to exist in most organizations due to specific challenges:
- Determining the criteria for when a file share is unnecessary can be time-consuming
- Identifying target file shares in a large environment can be technically difficult
- Preparing concrete and digestible information to decision makers can be time-consuming
- It can be very difficult to enable decision makers to act, in a suitably efficient and effective way
- Actions, if taken at all, can be point-in-time and not offer a long-term solution
Northern offers a way to overcome these challenges.
The diagram and explanation below shows the workflow implemented in the organization, using NSS, to identify and remove file shares that only contain unused files:
- NSS Scans the file system to identify folders that only contain files which have not been accessed in recent years (seven years by default), and stores the results in the SQL database.
- IT Admins are notified when the scan is complete.
- IT Admins can view the results in the NSS Console web interface.
- From within NSS’ web interface, abandoned files are quarantined or deleted.
Key Risk Indicators Established
The number of file shares that have not been accessed in the last seven years, and the total volume of data stored in these shares, are established as a Key Risk Indicators (KRIs). These KRIs can be used to establish controls; requiring action when set thresholds are reached. They are also tracked over-time to allow comparison and measure levels of success.
The table below shows the tasks involved in implementing this Northern solution, the time required, and who is responsible to perform each task:
|1||Import configuration settings||0.5 hours||Northern|
|2||Run analyses in environment and verify results||Varies*||Automated|
|3||Determine which folders contain only obsolete data||1-4 hours||Customer and Northern|
|4||Configure Quarantine if files will be quarantined||1-4 hours||Customer and Northern|
|5||Delete/quarantine files that are obsolete||1-2 hours||Customer|
|6||Measure success by calculating volume of deleted or quarantined data and numbers of files||1 hour||Northern|
|* Expect scan speeds of approximately 2000 files per second. An environment with 100 million files will take approximately 14 hours to scan.|
The implementation of this solution requires minimal investment by the organization and, by identifying and removing abandoned file shares, the organization will achieve real value.
- Improved information and infrastructure security by the removal of files that may contain login information or sensitive network details
- Reduced risk of legal non-compliance by the removal data that is beyond its retention period or no longer belongs to the organization
- An improved ability to satisfy internal audits as the file system is better organized and more transparent
- Costs are reduced as primary, secondary, disaster recovery, and backup storage is used more efficiently
- Staff are able to focus their attention on data that is of value to the organization
- Complexity and cost of migration and transformation projects are reduced
|NSS Deployed||Version 9.91 or later|
|SQL Database||SQL Server 2012 or later|
|NSS Solution Area(s)||Centralized File Service Management (CFSM)|
If you wish to start using NSS to identify and remove abandoned file shares, please contact your Account Manager, or the Professional Services team, to schedule the first action: import configuration settings.